Monday, July 21, 2008

Opinions Please.

Last week I went to a lunch meeting at work where they introduced the interns to some of the VPs and we were able to ask questions and seek out any information we wanted. Our meeting was productive, and I learned a lot about what it is exactly that this market of COX is looking for. Some of the things they said I will save for another post (after I am no longer employed...) as I have many opinions on their views of college degrees, work experience, study abroad and the Verizon Company.

One of the topics we spent a large portion of our time on was real life experience in fields that we wanted to go into. One of the HR reps pointed out how important it was to get involved with organizations in your field, to join boards and to simply be involved to be in the know-how in your field and to of course maintain a solid network. These are things I had often thought about but never really pursued. I feel like sometimes I am still in the awkward stage of "becoming an adult" and I don't want to take real life (specifically a career) too seriously, but I know that it is probably time, or passed time.

So I figure, it's time to get the ball rolling (insert manditory picture or video...)



I have been doing some research since then and have been looking at becoming a member of the STC (Society for Technical Communication). There is a chapter that meets on the Boise campus and as I continue to read more about it and learn about it, I think it would be beneficial. But I am still looking around and trying to decide what organizations or activities would be best suited for me.

I wanted to seek the opinion of those who read my blog. I think there are about six of you. :) While the numbers may be few, I know that I have brothers in-law and cousins and cousins in law, and sisters and parents and aunts and uncles and friends and random readers who have been successful in their education, careers and in their lives in general. I have not forgotten what things are important to me in my life or in my future but for now I am specifically talking about moving ahead in a career and in my education. If you'd be willing to take some time to leave me a post about suggestions you have for me, regarding being successful with my own time at school and things I can do that would help me in my career, I would really appreciate it.
You are all the best!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cute Girl!

This is the time for you to discover what your goals are and what you're passionate about. College helps us learn HOW to find the answers along the way. If you take away one idea from a project, a professor, a classmate, a lecture, or a book, you get a little closer to knowing what makes sense to you and what you want. If you are interested in something, TRY IT! Jump into that broadcast booth and see if you like the "doing" of what you're studying. You may learn that you enjoy a different aspect of the same business. You may love it! College is also a time to reflect on your spiritual gifts; you will be reminded of what the Lord has in store for you! You're on a great path; enjoy the journey!

stacey said...

I will leave a helpful comment soon but can I first just say that the little mandatory video was probably one of the silliest things I've ever seen. I think I lost brain cells watching it, not sure yet. :) But seriously, I will be thinking of some wisdom that I may impart to you. Or something like that.

stacey said...

Ok, here's the short of it, AKA the really long of it:

Depending on the cost, I would say join the STC chapter. Anything like that that gives you opportunities to network or rub shoulders with people who are further along in the same or a related field is a GREAT thing. But just joining it doesn't mean anything unless you are actively participating. Sure, you can put it on your resume but you actually stand to gain something from it, so gain it.

Other ideas:

Does BSU have a radio station? You have to seek opportunities to try things like that out - once you have your foot in the door, other doors might just open for you. Even some of the famous people in broadcasting started out doing things like delivering mail in a building. I'm not saying you should be the mail girl, but find some way to get your foot in the door using your internship as a jumping off point.

Also, on an unrelated note, I have some books I am mailing to you. They don't have anything to offer in the area of broadcasting, but I think for the overall point you are at in your life they will help you in some ways. I didn't pack them because I want you to read them.

Since this is probably already too long, I'll just keep going. Here are some other ideas.

-take a class or classes that will challenge you. It doesn't need to be impossibly hard (like I wouldn't recommend matrix algebra at this point), but it is fun to learn to work really hard
-go talk to your professors. I CANNOT stress this enough. Take charge of your education. They have office hours - use them.
-I don't know if Boise State has it, but BYU has this "Take a Cougar to Lunch" thing where you can be paired with someone in your desired field. Look for things like that to build a network also.

Now, I am certainly not disagreeing with Mom, but I want to add to what she said and point out that as important as it is to enjoy the journey, you need to remember that you are creating that journey. Don't just let life happen to you - live it. :)

I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what she said! Create the journey you will enjoy! Don't just endure....enjoy!