Monday, July 14, 2008

Go and "Get Smart"

First I should just be entirely honest and say I love Steve Carell. Any movie he is in I will probably think is the "best movie of all time." My bias towards him may influence my thoughts on his most recent movie "Get Smart," but that aside I can honestly say that this movie was one of the best I've seen in the last year.

For all who watched the TV show, you need to know that I haven't ever seen the shows. Immediately after watching the movie however, I came home and YouTubed the series and watched numerous clips and outtakes in order to get an idea of what the five year series was all about. The movie is not a direct steal from the series. A classic series such as "Get Smart" can't truly be duplicated. Something like that wouldn't be and is never successful.



The movie had just the right amount of action, humor and romance. I feel like in movies such as this, a lot of the time one genre often outweighs another too much and it just becomes overwhelmingly annoying. Except for humor, because one can never have too much humor I don't believe. And with Steve Carell at the lead, this is seemingly impossible to be lacking. The action scenes are fun and true to life, and definitely work for both Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell. The romance between the two is a little unnerving at first thought (for me specifically because of the real-life age difference between the two), but again it really works and is a success.



I don't know who I think I am. I am no movie reviewer and I wouldn't call myself Roger Ebert or Richard Roeper or more locally Arch Campbell. But I really am a fan of this movie and think that if you have some spare time and a spare Hamilton lying around, you should see this, keeping in mind that it is rated PG-13. So while you may approve of you children watching the show, you may not approve of them watching the movie for a few years.



My friend (who has seen the entire series) said it best as we were listening to the music during the credits (because let's be real, no one reads the credits unless they are looking for a specific person's name) when she said, "Yeah. That was really good. I didn't even want to kill myself throughout the entire thing."

1 comment:

CORYNN AND JER said...

I also thought it was a top-notch flick. Steve Carrell is the bomb diggety. Can't wait for the new season of The Office! Who's with me? Whoop whoop!