Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Call" Don't "Send" part 2.

Many of you will remember a few months ago when I first posted about a problem that is plaguing our society (see March posts to review). It's a problem that spans from old to young. I discussed the scientific aspect of it, in that it is formally considered an addiction and more specifically a mental illness. As printed in the American Journal of Psychiatry:

There are four distinct symptoms to diagnosing texting as a mental illness:

Excessive use (neglect day to day activities)
Withdrawal (feeling depressed when not accessible)
Tolerance (over texting)
Negative repercussion (social isolation)

At one point or another, I have felt all of these. But I'm at the point now where I can care less. I will check my phone to see if someone called or if someone texted me but, I'm not getting upset, I'm not constantly opening and closing my phone and I have no problem going out or spending the whole day at work without it.

This morning as I was on my way out the door to work, my mom shared this picture with me from the New Era Magazine. How perfect, how fitting, and how true.



At the bottom it says, "Those you are with deserve your attention, not just your presence. (Matthew 7:12 (Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.))

No comments: